ANNOUNCE: Cabal 1.2.0 released

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:35:19 EDT 2007

                      The Haskell Cabal
The Common Architecture for Building Applications and Libraries.
                <http://www.haskell.org/cabal>

We are pleased to announce that Cabal version 1.2.0 is now available.

Changes:

The major new feature in this release is support for Cabal
configurations.  This allows package authors to more easily adopt
their package descriptions to different system parameters such as
operating system, architecture, or compiler.  In addition, some
optional features may be enabled or disabled explicitly by the package
user.

Many other new features and tool support has been added, among others:

  - Support for hscolour (haddock links to coloured source code).

  - Support for pkg-config (allows specifying dependencies on many
    C libraries).

  - Specification of build-tool dependencies.

  - Better default installation paths on Windows.

  - Seperate "includes" and "install-includes" fields

  - Install paths can be specified relative to each other.

  - Many more new small features, command line flags and bugfixes.

For a more exhaustive list, see

  http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/rc/changelog

Please note that this is a .0 release, so we would appreciate any
feedback or bug reports.  Note also, that the hooks API changed, so
it's quite likely that many non-trivial Setup.[l]hs files will break.
We hope, however, that much of those files' functionality can now be
expressed using configurations.

This version (or a bug fix update) will be included in GHC version
6.8.1.  For other Haskell implementations or older versions of GHC you
can install it separately:

Download:

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html
http://haskell.org/cabal/release/rc/cabal-1.2.0.tar.gz

Documentation:

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/rc/doc/users-guide/
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/rc/doc/API/Cabal

See both the README file and the changelog for interface changes:
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/rc/changelog

Bugs:

Report bugs using our bug tracker:

  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/newticket

or at the

  libraries at haskell.org (please CC to cabal-devel at haskell.org)

mailing list (note that this is subscriber only).