Proposal: Add concatMapM function (#2042)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:11:00 EST 2008

Hello Johan,

>> I think the Haskell Way of interpreting bytes as Latin-1 - while
>> unfortunate in today's multi-everything environment - is something we
>> just have to live with.  Too much code expects this behavior, and too
>> many tasks require just reading ASCII to be burdened with
>> complications of locales and character sets.

> Why do we have to live with it?  I understand why we ended up with the
> situation we have today. Most languages have/had the same problem.

the problem is just over-complication of existing Handle
implementation - it's about 2kloc of high-messed code. taking into
account that it lacks a lot of other required features, it's quite
meaningless to spend a lot of time fixing it for just one particular
problem

i've implemented 2 versions of Streams library which includes
everything i know about i/o (i.e. no networking, overlapped i/o or
iconv) and started to implement its 3rd version which includes
bytestring i/o but then switched to more interesting project. Streams
is still the most complete haskell i/o library and quite useful. its
main drawback is lack of docs, especially for second version, but to
some degree you can understand it just by analogy with System.IO
interfaces

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com