Readline read_history and write_history addition

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sat Feb 2 17:08:37 EST 2008

Alexander Dunlap wrote:
> I don't understand. Why don't you compile the functions we are
> suggesting _into the library_?

The wrapper in either direction is a trivial one liner. The question
is: what will be the standard advertised API?

If we provide an exception-based idiom for this, we could
indirectly cause a system-damaging crash in some seemingly
unrelated part of someone's program. That is why I am
suggesting that we not include any functions that raise
exceptions in non-error conditions.

The argument against the above might be as follows: The current
limitations in the IO exception system just mean that Haskell
is not quite completely ready yet for the monad transformer style.

Perhaps. It would make me a bit sad to add one more way
that its usefulness is limited, though. I don't think that the
difference between raising an exception and other idioms is
important enough in this case to make the readline library
one of those ways.

Thanks,
Yitz