darcs patch: Figure out timezone offset from timezone name

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Mon Feb 4 23:28:56 EST 2008

Bjorn Bringert wrote:

> David and I have discussed this, and it seems like this hard-coded
> timezone database is in any case better than the current incorrect
> behavior. In the majority of cases it will do the right thing, instead
> of being almost always incorrect as it is now. I have pushed the patch
> now, but there are some improvements that could be made:

I think this is wrong. Time-zones change quite frequently, and now any
program compiled with 'time' will be incorrect the next time some
government changes its zone.

It's for a similar reason that no leap-second table is included in the
package. I always prefer not to provide information than provide
misinformation. That said, this file is Bjorn's part of the package.

Is there an alternative approach? Is there some way we can query the tz
database? I looked into this earlier but didn't find an obvious way.

--
Ashley Yakeley