PROPOSAL: Some more 'Applicative' combinators

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Jan 9 05:22:37 EST 2008

Iavor Diatchki wrote:
>  What would be the benefit of having a separate module?

Well, putting those combinators in Control.Applicative would suggest
that applicative functors are for parsing only :)

> By the way, the combinators are all variations of 'many': 'skipMany'
> is just like 'many'  but ignoring the results; 'endBy' performs a
> "cleanup" computation after each iteration; "sepBy" performs a
> "cleanup" operation between iterations.  As I said before, these are
> just ordinary control structures.

What I want to say is that I doubt that  many  and friends are general
purpose. Is there an example of an applicative functor that is not a
parser but for which  many , skipMany  and so on make sense / are
useful? For [] and Maybe, both

   many [1]
   many $ Just 1

just give a stack overflow.