Integrating editline with ghc

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Fri Jan 18 04:03:54 EST 2008

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> Christian Maeder:
>> 1. a _new_ readline package that only contains the interface that can be
>> implemented using libeditline _or_ libreadline. If this package is call
>> "readline" (with a new version number) most libraries i.e. like Shellac
>> would not need modifications.
>
> I disagree.  Readline should stay as it is.  (Why force existing
> readline users who use functionality not supported by editline's
> emulation layer to change the package they are using?)

Your point is also supported by Yitz Gale, my point by Malcolm.

Where are the users that use the functionality not supported by
editline's emulation layer? (Shout now or be quiet ever after)

Disadvantage of my proposal (to change the readline interface):
We have restructured libraries massively between 6.2 and 6.8 (why not
for 6.10?)

Disadvantage of making a new interface:
Everybody who wants to profit from libedit has to do active changes (so
many will not bother, although most would want it.)

Christian