Quick Hackage question

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 21:16:44 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 05:47:18PM -0800, Judah Jacobson wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 4:53 PM, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > In the medium term, expecting the hackage server to be able to build
> > each package is unrealistic. It will never have all the system libs and
> > eventually will probably not have the cpu time to even build them all.
> > The solution is to have separate building and have hackage just report
> > the results.
>
> That makes sense; but if the packages aren't built on the server, will
> we still be able to display the Haddock docs?  Maybe there should be
> some way for the person uploading a package to also upload its Haddock
> files?

Yes, Duncan's scheme will provide lots of useful information, but it might
not be a replacement for building the docs under controlled conditions
(though not necessarily on the server).  The docs we want on the server
have different links from the local ones people would usually want to
generate.  It would also require a great deal of care to ensure that
docs produced remotely could be trusted.