hackage, package list, trac, some suggestions/questions

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 3 10:24:26 EDT 2008

| > 3. the hackage package list ought to list successful and failed
| >     builds (simply a list of compiler versions, each one green
| >     or red, depending on success, with direct link to build/
| >     failure log; this would fit into the one-line-per-package
| >     format) for each entry, and report them to package authors.

Personally I think that the key innovation on Hackage would be a user feedback system, like the user reviews on Amazon.  Users can:

 - give a mark out of 10 for a package
 - write a review (perhaps short): eg "a real struggle to build on Solaris" or "worked like a charm"

The marks are averaged and displayed, so other users can pick ones with good reviews.

Well-engineered packages would stand out.

Simon