agreeing a policy for maintainers and hackageDB

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jun 24 05:24:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> I'm still hoping that someone will make Hackage able to support user
> reviews and ratings, so that well-engineered packages get the good
> feedback they deserve, and stand out from the crowd.

  As Chris Kuklewicz explains in the other thread "package spam", an
unmaintained package is often not generated by someone who uploads a new
version where only the Cabal field Maintainer is removed or changed to the
empty string. Actually a package most oftenly becomes unmaintained by
being not updated for a long time. Thus I think the time of the last
release, the highest compiler version it is tested with and so on may be
sorting criteria for finding out the most up-to-date packages.
  If nevertheless an unmaintained flag should be managed, this should be
part of HackageDB (like user reviews), not part of Cabal. But then I
wonder who shall decide whether a package is maintained or not. Sometimes
users are afraid that a package is unmaintained because there was no new
release for half a year, although patches are constantly committed to a
darcs repository.