Can't find cabal.exe on windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 19:24:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 18:40 -0400, Aemon Cannon wrote:
> I installed Cabal-1.4.01 with ghc 6.8.3 on Windows XP SP2 using the
> following commands:
>
> ghc --make Setup.hs
> Setup configure
> Setup build
> Setup install
>

> Everything seemed to work perfectly, but I can't seem to find
> cabal.exe  The README seems to indicate that it'd be installed in
> HOME/.cabal, but this directory was not created.
>
> Any ideas?

You need to install the "cabal-install" package. The Cabal package is
just the library. The "cabal-install" package provides the cabal.exe
command line program.

The README is right but it's referring to the library. I've added the
following to the README which will hopefully make it clearer in future:

        Installation instructions for the Cabal library

        If you also want the `cabal` command line program then you need
        the `cabal-install` package in addition to this library.

Also I added the following note to the "Installing as a user" section

        Note the use of the `--user` flag at the configure step.

Duncan