IntSet.findMax generates garbage

Scott Dillard sedillard at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 23 11:09:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> But the library submissions process was only intended for interface
> changes, and Scott's changes to IntMap/IntSet construction and findMax
> are performance issues.

Not entirely. I changed the signatures of IntMap.findMin and findMax to
return the key/value pair. Previously they only returned the value. I
believe this was a typo -- findMin was defined as "fst . runIdentity .
minView" but it "should" have been "fst . runIdentity . minViewWithKey". I
say "should" because Map.findMin also returns the pair, and the
documentation for the functions made it seem like that's what they should
return. But I don't think its a major compatibility issue because these
functions are still not published in the Haddock indices (
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/containers/Data-IntMap.html<--
no findMin there) so whoever is using them is doing so at the risk of
code breakage.

But if this still counts as API change I'd be glad to make another that
keeps signatures unchanged. However I do think it is ridiculous for findMin
to return only the value and not the key as well.

Scott