2008-10-11 Hackage status with GHC 6.10

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Oct 15 14:47:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> | I wondered whether it is possible to let the compiler read and store the
> | RULES pragmas without optimizing the code in the same module with respect
> | to these RULES. When I want to compile the code without optimization - for
> | whatever reason - I would still like to have the RULES checked. They could
> | still be applied when imported to another module that is compiled with
> | optimization.
>
> Indeed you can: use -fno-omit-interface-pragmas. This overrides the
> default, which is that with -O no non-essential info is put in the
> interface file.
>
> If you think it's worth improving the documentation (e.g. you didn't
> know about this), then I'd welcome a concrete suggestion.  (eg Say
> "...this..." in the second bullet off ...".)

  I found it just confusing to switch on two features (namely 'optimization
including application of rules' and 'parsing, checking and storing new
rules') with one option (namely -O). It remains confusing for me also if
one of the two features can be enabled separately with
-fno-omit-interface-pragmas, but the other feature cannot. Also the option
sounds like it also applies not only to RULES. I also find the doubled
negation in 'no omit' confusing. What about
'-finclude-all-interface-pragmas'?
  What concerns documentation: The description of an option for enabling
parsing of RULES I would expect in ghc-doc/users_guide/rewrite-rules.html.