Splitting SYB from the base package in GHC 6.10

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 3 07:50:08 EDT 2008

| Instead of repeating myself in full, I'd prefer you'd refer to my previous
| emails (ask if they were unclear), but here is the gist of it (with no claim
| of completeness):

Claus, I found your summary very helpful.  Thank you!  Although you may have said it all before, I find it very difficult to keep a whole email thread in my head, and I find compact summaries really helpful.

| I think the area of contention is pretty small.  As I understand it,
| no-one wants to change the instances you call [standard], for the types

Ross's comments (reproduced below) look sensible to me.  In the short term we probably don't know enough to be sure of doing the Permanently Right Thing.  But time is short for 6.10, so I think for that near-term goal we should concentrate on something modest.

My criterion is:

base:   stuff that (a) we don't expect to want to change
        and (b) that others might want to build on in a different way

syb:    stuff that may change

There is a tension between (a) and (b); and the base/syb boundary may well be fuzzy.

Concretely, I propose that we follow more or less Ross's suggestion:

base:  the Data class itself and [standard] instances,
        and any [partial] instances that we feel confident won't change

syb:    leftover [partial] instances, and [misfits]
        plus lots of SYB library code

My reading of Claus's message is that, modulo discussion of some details of [partial], he'd go with that plan.

I urge *against* making a new package for Data/Typeable, for now at least.  The gain is slight or absent, and there is a cost in terms of new package dependencies, and the possibility that we may later decide to cut the cake another way.  We recently decided to un-do the proposed splitting out of packages for 'getopt', 'st', 'concurrent', 'timeout' etc. for this very reason.  See http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2008-August/010543.html

Is that acceptable to others?  If so, someone (Jose) needs to sort out the details.  19 Sept is GHC's release candidate, so we need this done well before then.

Simon