ANN: logfloat 0.12.0.1

wren ng thornton wren at community.haskell.org
Fri Apr 3 18:52:58 EDT 2009

-- logfloat 0.12.0.1

This package provides a type for storing numbers in the log-domain,
primarily useful for preventing underflow when multiplying many
probabilities as in HMMs and other probabilistic models. The package
also provides modules for dealing with floating numbers correctly.

-- Now using FFI

We now use the FFI to gain access to C's accurate log1p (and expm1)
functions. This greatly increases the range of resolution, especially
for very small LogFloat values. These are currently exposed from
Data.Number.LogFloat, though they may move to a different module in
future versions.

On GHC 6.10 the use of -fvia-C had to be disabled because it conflicts
with the FFI (version 0.12.0.0 still used it, which is fine on GHC 6.8).
I'm still investigating the use of -fasm and getting proper benchmarking
numbers. Contact me if you notice significant performance degradation.

Using the FFI complicates the build process for Hugs; details are noted
in the INSTALL file. It may also complicate building on Windows (due to
ccall vs stdcall), though I'm not familiar with Windows FFI and don't
have a machine to test on.

The calling convention is "unsafe" in order to avoid overhead. However,
in the past this has been noted to cause issues with multithreaded
applications since it locks all RTS threads instead of just the calling
thread. If you're using logfloat in a multithreaded application and
notice a slowdown, or if you're more familiar with these details than I,
tell me so I can fix things.

If you have any difficulties with the FFI, let me know. As an interim
solution the FFI can be disabled by turning off the useFFI Cabal flag
during configure, which will compile the package to use the naive log1p
implementation from earlier versions.

-- Other changes since 0.11.0

* (0.11.1) Felipe Lessa added an instance for IArray UArray LogFloat. On
GHC we use newtype deriving; On Hugs we fall back to unsafeCoerce to
distribute the newtype over IArray UArray Double.

* (0.11.2 Darcs) Moved the log/exp fusion rules from
Data.Number.LogFloat into Data.Number.Transfinite where our log function
is defined.

* Added a Storable LogFloat instance for GHC. No implementation is
available yet for Hugs.

* Removed orphaned toRational/fromRational fusion rules, which were
obviated by the introduction of the Data.Number.RealToFrac module in 0.11.0.

* Changed the Real LogFloat instance to throw errors when trying to
convert transfinite values into Rational.

-- Compatibility / Portability

The package is compatible with Hugs (September 2006) and GHC (6.8,
6.10). For anyone still using GHC 6.6, the code may still work if you
replace LANGUAGE pragma by equivalent OPTIONS_GHC pragma.

The package is not compatible with nhc98 and Yhc because
Data.Number.RealToFrac uses MPTCs. The other modules should be compatible.

-- Links

Homepage:
     http://code.haskell.org/~wren/

Hackage: