Failure to install time package

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Wed Apr 15 16:36:18 EDT 2009

|As Ganesh said, you can't rely on executing any kind of Unix command
|or any kind of shell scripts.  Nor can you assume to have any
|compiler, except ghc.
|For LLVM I simply captured the configuration using MinGW, and then
|made a custom build step that uses this information.
|
|What you really, really want for windows is a binary install.  It's a
|great shame the time package was not included in ghc 6.10.2 (since it
|was included in earlier compiler distributions).  This broke things
|for Windows users.

Simon recently collected all the pieces needed for GHC builds on
windows, so -in principle- someone could make a cabal package
that downloads and installs these pieces in their default location

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

and then cabal could implicitly depend on that package if seeing
a package using 'build-type: configure' on Windows. That would
solve this particular issue for all cabal packages. And once GHC
becomes able to use a standard MinGW layout

it could also depend on such a tools package.

That is assuming the licenses are favourable for redistribution,
and the installers can be run from the commandline.

Claus

PS. of course, unnecessary dependencies aren't necessary;-)