Adding binary to the Haskell Platform

Denis Bueno dbueno at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:48:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 01:15, Krasimir Angelov<kr.angelov at gmail.com> wrote:
> The binary package is too lazy and in some cases the decoding dies
> with "stack overflow". At least this was the situation the last time
> when I tried to use it. Since then I am using hacked version which is
> stricter. This should be addressed before to add this package to the
> platform.

Not all encodings are right for everyone.  IIRC, many complaints about
binary are due to overflows when encoding/decoding large maps or
lists.  This is because of the [] instance.  I, myself, have been
bitten by this, but I don't think it's a flaw in the library -- there
are plenty of people using the library who haven't complained about
the instance.

If the instance isn't right for you, write a new one.  That's what I did.

                              Denis