Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Aug 5 16:12:30 EDT 2009

Don Stewart wrote:
> I would appreciate input from the HaXml and HDBC authors (our most
> popular LGPL-licensed Haskell libraries) about what they feel the
> licensing issues/constraints should be for the Haskell Platform.

I would be happy to put a static linking exemption into the COPYRIGHT
file for all of my LGPL libraries.  My intent with using LGPL instead of
BSD is not to pollute end users' work or other libraries they use, but
rather to keep the LGPL'd library free and open since I am giving out it
in a free and open way.  That is, I don't want someone to take my LGPL'd
library, make it closed source, and sell copies of the library...  if
they want to sell a different product that happens to use a database and
keep it closed source, that's fine with me.

Perhaps the community could come up with a standard boilerplate static
linking exemption that we could all use?

-- John