proposal for updates in next major HP release

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Thu Aug 13 15:51:22 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Duncan
Coutts<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> We suggest updating each package to its latest stable release, except
> where noted below. In most cases this means relatively insignificant API
> changes. The cases of particular interest are:

>        QuickCheck update from version 1.2.x to version 2.x

There is a lot of material on the web explaining the design of
QuickCheck 1, how to use it, how to get started, and so forth. I
haven't seen any documentation of QC 2 beyond the Haddock pages, which
don't seem very helpful for new users.

For example, for shrink it says: "Produces a (possibly) empty list of
all the possible immediate shrinks of the given value." So far as I
can tell, the concept of a "shrink" is not actually explained
anywhere, leaving the user to look at the existing instances and guess
what's appropriate. (Also, if I may nit-pick, either "empty" should be
in the parentheses with "possibly", or there shouldn't be
parentheses.)

It would be nice if the packages in the Haskell Platform met some
minimum standards for documentation.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>