(no subject)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 10:38:57 EDT 2009

On 14/08/2009 17:07, roconnor at theorem.ca wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
>
>> Different packages can provide modules with the same name, so it seems
>> perfectly reasonable to let programmers choose the names for their
>> modules.
>
> What you say here seems to be somewhat at odds with what is written in
> the below documentation:
>
> <http://www.haskell.org/hierarchical-modules/libraries/reference-libraries.html>
>

> Specifically where it says:
>
> ``If, however, you are providing a library for any other part of the
> hierarchy [not in User or Org], then the module names in the should be
> allocated.''
>
> Your disagreement might be okay. This documentation is quite old, and
> might be out of date. However, if this is the case then might I suggest
> it either be removed from haskell.org or somehow marked as being obsolete.

That document is quite out of date, I've now removed it to avoid confusion.

There are no official policies regarding module namespace now.  You can
upload a package to Hackage containing whatever module names you like.
However, if you choose modules that overlap with another package, then
users will have some difficulty in using both packages together (not
necessarily a showstopper).  If you choose silly module names, that's a
a library design issue in the same way that choosing silly function
names would be.

We really ought to have some good coding style guidelines that include
how to choose module names.

Cheers,
	Simon