Potential Network SIG

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Aug 24 17:22:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> My plan for network-bytestring has always been to offer a
> Network.Socket.Buffer with function such as 'recvInto' that work on
> buffers. The higher level bytestring interface can then be implemented
> in terms of this interface.

How would a Buffer differ from a combination of Ptr a and CSize? (My implied
argument is that it shouldn't.)

I've been struggling a bit with how to expose less frequently used
> functionality in the BSD socket API such as the 'flags' parameter to
> 'send'. It feels a bit unfortunate to have to pass a "no flags" value
> in the most frequent case. Optional keyword parameters would be useful
> here.

send vs sendWithFlags would be workable, since we're not going to get
keyword or optional arguments in a happy-making form in the language any
time soon. Of course, just making people use defaultFlags (as getAddrInfo
does) isn't too awful, either.