Potential Network SIG

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 17:28:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 09:18 -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         Right now, that means making Handles from Sockets (which is
>         something the current network library provides).  And then you
>         use the bytestring library to write bytestrings to the
>         Handle.  In the future we'll have a way to write text to a
>         Handle too.
>

> I remember seeing notes about the new I/O code being about 20-25%
> slower than the old, due to support for character set transcoding. If
> my recollection is correct, would that hold true for writing
> ByteStrings, too? (Yes, I'm somewhat performance obsessed.)

As far as I know the only slow down is when there is actual text
decoding going on, ie not for ByteString I/O.

Simon has promised to explain all in his upcoming talk at the Haskell
Implementers' Workshop. :-)

That will also be the obvious time to discuss what a new public I/O
interface might look like. There's lots of fun new machinery in GHC's
I/O system but we need to talk about public APIs.

Duncan