advance warning of Cabal-1.6.0.2 and package breakages

Patrick Perry patperry at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 18 11:54:13 EST 2009

Thanks for the heads-up, Duncan.  For the BLAS package, the situation
is slightly complicated, and I will still be sticking with autoconf
for now.  The reasons are twofold:

1. The functions I am binding to are written in Fortran, and have
different calling conventions on different architectures.  On some
architectures, the equivalent C function names have a trailing
underscore (e.g. "dgemm_"), and on some architectures they don't (e.g.
"dgemm").

2. There is no standard name for a BLAS shared library.  The autoconf
macro I use checks in libraries named atlas, blas, mkl, cxml, dxml,
sunperf, essl, and a few others.

For me to switch to git rid of autoconf, I would need Cabal to provide
the following:

1. A way to find out the C calling convention for Fortran functions.
2. A way to check if a specific function exists in a library.
3. An option to try a different library name if a check for a library
fails.

For reference, here is the autoconf macro I am using:

http://github.com/patperry/blas/blob/master/m4/ax_blas.m4

Patrick