Proposal for Max/Min Monoids Trac ticket 3036

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Sun Feb 22 14:19:11 EST 2009

On 2009-02-21, Benja Fallenstein <benja.fallenstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM, William Pearson <wil.pearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/2/20 David Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>:
>>> I like the Min/Max monoids, and the possibility of adding something
>>> like AddBounds (although I'd prefer a name like "Bounded"; "Bounded
>>> Integer" reads better than "AddBounds Integer").
>>
>> We already have a Bounded typeclass, so things would get confusing.
>> How about BoundsAdded Integer?
>
> OrInfinity? :-)
>
> I suppose Extended -- as in "extended real number" -- would not make
> the intent clear enough...

Borrowing from topology, "completion", or "compactified" suggest
themselves, but I don't think they're clear enough in this context.
WithBounds, BoundsAdded, or Bounded seem clear enough.  I personally
am not too concerned with the overlap with the Bounded typeclass.  In
fact, I think that agreeing is a nice concurrence of terminology.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-