PROPOSAL: Remove Control.OldException

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 03:19:39 EDT 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Duncan
Coutts<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 09:27 +0300, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Please do not remove OldException.
>> -Iavor
>
> Can you give any rationale? Are you trying to maintain compatibility
> with base-3 by using CPP + OldException? Is that significantly easier
> than using the extensible-exceptions package?

1. I would have to go and change all code that uses exceptions, again.
2. I am not sure how to write backwards compatible code.  CPP +
OldException is not pretty but it works.
3. The extensible exception package is not Haskell 98 (it uses
existentials), so it really would be nice if _it_ was placed in a
separate package.  On that topic, it would be great if we had a way to
see what are all the extensions used by a program (including those
used by dependent packages).
4.  Ian's proposal did not provide any motivation for this change.  Is
the benefit the we clean things up a bit?  If so, I think that it is a
bit soon to do it.

-Iavor