time library dependencies

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Wed Jun 3 03:33:28 EDT 2009

wren ng thornton wrote:
> Yeah, orphan instances are bad.

Why?

I already use private orphan modules within the package, though the
package does not externally expose any orphan instances.

> I'm with Edward Kmett here, for the time
> package, having compiler-dependent instances seems like the least evil.
> (For other packages, it depends on the classes and on how easy it would
> be to avoid the problem.)

The downside is that the package has to know, and fossilize, information
about compilers. Though I will go this way if orphan instances are shown
to be sufficiently problematic.

--
Ashley