control-timeout: deprecated?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Jun 9 19:03:20 EDT 2009

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:

> No, I intended to match function types to allow a seemless transition.
>  This is a bug.

:-)

> Still, I'm questioning the value in supporting a
> compatability API for a depricated package

Well, the value you provide is that your module replaces the deprecated
one.

> - especially seeing as it
> depends on the unsafePeformGlobalBadness hack.

If that hack is the only way to provide the functionality then yes its
probably best to drop it.

>   I could add a module
> Control.Event.Relative to allow relative times using just forkIO and
> threadId (a lighter weight solution than the current bloatware), but
> that would just use IO and no STM.  What would be useful for your
> network-dns work?

Yes, I think it probably would be.

> Documentation for Control.Event.TImeout?  I assumed that people using
> the module would be familure with Control.Timeout - perhaps its time
> for that assumption to change.

Well the documentation for Control.Event.Timeout could have pointed to
Control.Timeout.

The only really went looking was when I found that the APIs were
different :-).

Cheers,
Erik