Adding an ignore function to Control.Monad

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Jun 11 17:56:09 EDT 2009

David Menendez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Felipe Lessa<felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:14:22PM -0400, David Menendez wrote:
>>> Aside from assertions that this is a bad thing because you say so,
>>> what evidence do we have that this is a problem?
>> The wiki mentions the problem with forgetting the results of an
>> operation.
>
> This is exactly what I'm talking about. That page is written almost
> entirely by Henning
> Thielemann, but because it's on the official Haskell wiki, it seems
> authoritative.

It's a wiki, I think it should document problems even if not everyone
agrees about them; I think it's our tradition to scatter pages with
conflicting viewpoints around our wiki (and even cross-link them to each
other).  Please don't think things on the haskell-wiki are
authoritative; I think they're there so that there is the potential to
collaborate on them.  That page even has links to some other people
expressing the same frustrations.  Feel free to update it
sympathetically if we've discussed something here that would strengthen
it as a page (and/or, is there a "do notation considered helpful"
page?).  Maybe something about "ignore" would strengthen it?; I'm not
sure; or references to stronger languages like Agda where "forgetting"
is a more crucial concept.

-Isaac