BerkeleyDBXML linking problems.

Sebastiaan Visser sfvisser at cs.uu.nl
Fri Jun 26 06:56:32 EDT 2009

Hello all,

After manually specifying where to find the appropriate include and
library directories for the dbxml distribution, I succeeded to install
both the BerkeleyDB and the BerkeleyDBXML Haskell bindings. They both
nicely show up in `ghc-pkg list'.

But when I try to compile my own test or the demo program included in
the BerkeleyDBXML package it will kindly present me a dozen or so
pages of linking errors. The top lines are:

   Undefined symbols:
     "std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_M_destroy(std::allocator<char>
const&)", referenced from:
         __xmlDocument_setContent in
libHSBerkeleyDBXML-0.6.2.a(dbxml_helper.o)

Do I have to tell GHC where to find the original dbxml libraries when
compiling my BerkeleyDBXML aware Haskell programs?

Small system overview:
   - Mac OS X 10.5.7
   - GHC 6.10.3
   - BerkeleyDB 0.7.1