proposal #3335: make some Applicative functions into methods, and split off Data.Functor

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:01:07 EDT 2009

Admittedly, my non-termination case basically kicks in when the pure
function returns bottom and might be resolved by being less strict at the
risk of space leaks in the parser. The asymptotic issues arise from much
more defensible use cases ala your enhanced sharing example, since I can
share leaf level recognizers regardless of the pure annotation, if I don't
care about the value that results.

As a parenthetical aside, by special casing 'many' and 'sepEndBy' I can
implement all of the other parsec style combinators that make sense in an
Applicative setting without any other form of recursion allowed in the GADT
I construct from the grammar. You still need arbitrary recursion for user
defined grammars, but the common grammar combinators can all be implemented
by biting off those two cases, or just the latter if you want to be
minimalist about it.
-Edward Kmett