transformers versus mtl

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Thu Mar 19 13:14:22 EDT 2009

Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:29:05PM -0000, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
>> I was actually asking about if any focused mtl -> transformers
>> transition is planned and how it will be managed, in terms of dealing
>> with the non-interoperability between the types in each.
>
> There is no transition plan; transformers is a recent arrival.
> I think it's an improvement, but we haven't had the discussion yet.

Would now be a good time to start it, or do we need more experience
of transformers?

>From my point of view, I'm trying to decide what I should be exposing
in interfaces right now (in particular for the rmonad package on
hackage).
It seems like the answer is mtl, but if there will be a transition to
transformers in the relatively near future, it would be easier to be a
front-runner, since I don't think the package is very widely used.

Ganesh