Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Sun May 10 01:41:57 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> I should probably point out the strategy we are trying to implement:
> time based releases rather than feature based.

And a fine idea that is. I do think that aiming for a 4-6 week minor release
cycle is massive overkill, though. As a distro packager, there's no way I'm
going to put myself through rebuild-the-world hell once a month because the
core libraries keep getting tweaked, but then I run the risk of missing
genuinely important bug or security fixes because I'm not paying attention.
This "be careful with update frequency" problem is probably more acute for
GHC than other languages because of the way that code tends to be inlined so
aggressively.

I'd aim for quarterly releases, with intermediate bugfix releases iff
there's a genuine serious problem that needs fixing.