Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:21:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:05:55AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> I think this raises an interesting question: the newly updated
> (for example,)opengl package might strive to work with the
> existing release Haskell Platform, rather than require newer
> versions of other HP libraries also.  Of course, cabal-install
> will deal with the latter too, it just leads to a few more
> dependency problems (& stability/testedness problems?).

I guess HP will depend on exact minor versions of the libraries.
Does that mean that the new shiny OpenGL package can't depend on
the old HP because it would indirectly depend on an older version
of itself?

Are we encouraged to depend on HP at all, or should we always
target the packages themselves and leave HP on Hackage just for
completeness?

--
Felipe.