Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Wed May 13 14:21:47 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2009 19:42:12 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> [...]
> If we choose to allow compatible API changes in minor release then we'd
> use version numbers like:
>
>   X.Y.0 for the first release / major release
>   X.Y.1 for the next minor release
>
> If we choose to allow only bug-fix changes changes in minor releases (ie
> no API changes) then we'd use version numbers like:
>
>   X.Y.0.0 for the first release / major release
>   X.Y.0.1 for the next minor release
>
> In both cases this compiles with the PVP and in both cases the union is
> consistent with it components.
>
> Am I missing something? [...]

Nope...

> The only thing causing confusion has been whether we interpret the
> existing platform versioning proposal in the light of the PVP and then
> change the platform API policy to suit, or if we decide our policy and
> then adjust the platform versioning scheme to follow the PVP. The latter
> approach is clearly more sensible.

OK, then we agree. To rephrase it: If any constituent part of the HP is
upgraded to something more than a bug-fix release, the HP can't be a bug fix
release, either. I guess I was confused a bit with the distinction between
"platform versioning scheme" and "platform versioning policy".

Cheers,
   S.