regex-tdfa issue with large regexps

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Aug 24 18:22:25 EDT 2010

Do you have an example of one of the long patterns?

I wrote regex-tdfa.  The lazy-DFA was educational, but can take up lots
of space.

I have been toying with a new version as a way to lean some OCaml.  The
new version does not make a big DFA, and should not take up as much space.

Fundamentally an efficient automaton may take lots of space while
matching but will run in linear time.  PCRE is a backtracking engine
that may take exponential time but use negligible space.

If the experiment with OCaml ends happily there may eventually be a new
major version of regex-tdfa with a port the space-efficient result.