Proposal: Add tryReadChan to Chan

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 01:28:25 CET 2010

Hi!

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've not looked at it in detail, I just wanted to mention that I would
> be nervous about accepting this unless someone like Simon Marlow reads
> it over and decides the locking works.

I think he did?

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4535#comment:2

> This sort of stuff is notoriously subtle, for example Neil Mitchell is
> convinced we have a deadlock bug in the current Chan code (without using
> isEmptyChan), but he cannot pin it down (but using his own trivial Chan
> impl cures the deadlock).

Can you give me a link to a test code which fails with current
implementation of Chan? Or does this problems with pinning it down
means that there wasn't yet simple code which would show the problem?

Mitar