Setup doesn't know Cabal's version

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at in.tum.de
Thu Feb 18 03:54:45 EST 2010

Good morning,

I'm currently migrating Gtk2hs to use Cabal to build. There is one
issue that makes it really difficult to build Setup.hs files that work
with several Cabal versions, namely that the version of Cabal itself
is not passed to Setup.hs via CPP #defines. Thus, even though I can
portably pre-process my Setup.hs scripts, I cannot reliably write code
that works with Cabal 1.6 and 1.8. Am I missing something?

Furthermore, I cannot build an executable that depends on the library
being built in the same Cabal file. Is that intentional?

Cheers,
Axel.