ssh ports for monk and nun?

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Fri Jan 22 05:38:37 EST 2010

> From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Monnier
>
> >> Trying to get ssh working via putty from behind my company
> firewall.
>
> My recommendation is to get access to an outside machine where you run
> an OpenVPN server on port 80 or 443.  This will solve it "once and for
> all".
> But first, please complain loudly and repeatedly about the firewall
> being closed to port 22.

Tried and failed. Our firewall will be closed to port 22 for the
forseaable future. I'll give the OpenVPN thing a go, if I can find some
time.

I'm wondering about a couple of things:

 1. how many people (in the haskell community) have the same problem?
How have they solved or worked around the problem?

 2. is it possible to run SSH daemons on monk and nun on ports 80 or
443? I'm wondering both from a technical feasability POV, and also an
administrative POV i.e. if it were technically feasible, would the
admins be open to the idea, if there was sufficient demand?

Thanks,
Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is