DRBG pre-announce and a discussion on RNG/Crypto infrastructure

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Sun Jul 4 10:05:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Thomas DuBuisson
<thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> * For Crypto-Algs pure Haskell code may be preferred but should not be
> used when costing over ~20% performance degradation when compared to
> other available implementations.

20% is quite a large performance hit, but within the bounds of reason.
Something to keep in mind, however:

The newer Intel processors have some hardware support for AES. As I
should be acquiring one of those in the near future, I intend to
rewrite the AES package to take advantage; of course, preferably by
exploiting existing working code.

I don't believe any software implementation will get within 20% of the
resulting performance. In other words, you will need to do the same.
Though I wouldn't mind if you use mine..

--
Svein Ove Aas