Haskell Platform 2010.2.0.0 RC

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Thu Jul 15 12:43:39 EDT 2010

nomeata:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.07.2010, 15:41 -0700 schrieb Don Stewart:
> > Release candidate specification for the 2010.2.0.0 release of the
> > Haskell Platform is now available, the first encorporating GHC 6.12.3:
> >
> >     http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal
> >
> > RC for the Unix installer is here:
> >
> >     http://www.galois.com/~dons/tmp/hp/haskell-platform-2010.2.0.0.tar.gz
> >
> > Time to get  the Mac and Windows installers ready, and to prep the distro packages!!
> >
> > Release due next Thursday.
>

> this leads us to the question: What do we want in squeeze? Are we happy
> with the current situation? Or should we try to get 6.12.3 and 2010.2.
> ready?

I think the GHC 6.12.3 compiler fixes a number of significant bugs of
6.12.1, so that alone is worth the upgrade:

    * A crash when Haskell calls C, which in turn calls back into Haskell,
    has been fixed.
    * A bug which caused forking large processes to not terminate has been
    fixed.
    * Calling hSetEncoding will now set the encoding for both the read and
    write side of a Handle, rather than just the read side.
    * Using hReady and hWaitForInput on Handles created from Sockets will
    no longer block on Windows.
    * Some improvements have been made in when library functions do, and
    do not, block asynchronous exceptions.
    * bytestring: Fixed bug that caused hGetContents to block when it
    shouldn't.
    * A new flag -no-rtsopts flag allows you to disable parsing of +RTS
     ... options by the run-time system.  In some use-cases, when a
     program can be run as another user, this can cause security
     problems. For example, myprog -tsomefile will overwrite somefile if
     the other user has permissions to do so.
    * ghc-pkg now ensures that the conf files it writes are UTF8.
    * TH: A bug in the kind parser has been fixed.
    * directory: System.Directory.doesFileExist on Unix-like OSes now
     correctly identifies various types of special file as files.

-- Don