can I indicate that an old version is not to be used, and some more questions

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Jul 23 04:51:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, S. Doaitse Swierstra wrote:

> I uploaded a version of the uu-parsinglib to hackage. Only later I
> discovered that it depended on a verion of base >= 4.2, whereas I
> indicate > 4 in my .cabal file.
>
> I repaired this by uploading a new version in which only the cabal file
> has changed. This raises the following questions:
>
> - the Haskell code did not change, but I still had to bump the version number?

If you follow the Package Version Policy then increasing the version
number from 2.4.1 to 2.4.1.1 would be the right thing to do.

> - can I remove the incorrect version or indicate that it is superseded
> by the new version?

A new version is automatically preferred on installation and thus somehow
hides older versions.

> - since I do not have a wide variety of Haskell installations and
> package versions on my machine, it would be very nice if the hackage
> server could test a package against the extremes of the indicated
> dependency ranges before installing. This would have prevented the
> mistake I made (and which undoubtedly others will make too)

Sure, tool support for dependency checking is highly wanted, but still
does not exist.