Dependency Problem on Hackage

Seyed Hosein Attarzadeh Niaki shan2 at kth.se
Tue Jun 29 07:51:01 EDT 2010

Dear Haskell libraries maintainers,

I have recently uploaded a package to Hackage and got a build failure:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/ForSyDe/3.1.1/logs/failure/ghc-6.12

The error looks to be due to dependencies on multiple versions of some
Haskell libraries built on Hackage.
In particular, depending on both "directory" and "process" leads to
indirect dependencies on unix-2.4.0.1 and 2.4.0.2.
The same situation is there for "containers" and "regex-posix" which
results to multiple dependency on array-0.3.0.0 and 0.3.0.1.
I asked about this matter on #haskell. They said it is because of the
centralized build mechanism of Hackage which hopefully will be improved
with the new servers. But, for the short term I should ask the
maintainers to rebuild the deps.

I would like to ask if you confirm the cause of error.
Also, since many packages depend on these Haskell libraries, I guess
other people might also have the same problem. Do you have any plans to
rebuild these packages on Hackage?

Regards,
--
Hosein Attarzadeh