Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:09:40 EDT 2010

On 5 November 2010 09:01, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ummm... I should be able to download the GHC source tarball (or
> generic unix binary) + the HP source tarball and be good to go from
> there.

I think you have misunderstood my proposal. The platform tarball could
(and should!) include the source for the "private" libraries. I am
only pointing out that such private libraries do not necessarily need
to be installed into the system package list in the process of
installing the Haskell Platform itself.

> Anyway, it's official policy:
> http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages#PackageRequirements

I was not aware of this, thanks. However, the rationale states:

"""
It may seem that it might be possible to allow shipping packages that
are somehow "not blessed" as being part of the platform, however there
is currently no obvious way to make a practical distinction between
"blessed" and "not blessed".
"""

Note that this is not true in the special case that "not blessed"
packages are used only by an *executable* package. So it looks like
the policy could be safely relaxed to admit this special case and
hence allow HLint to be included. However, it would require a policy
change and I do not know who is capable of making such changes, or if
this change would be acceptable.

Cheers,
Max