Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 06:07:08 EST 2010

On 10 November 2010 18:55, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> Libraries with non-BSD deps haven't been considered for the HP, and
> would be problematic, in my opinion. Applications are far less of a
> concern, though guaranteeing that anything in the platform can be hacked
> freely for any use would be a positive statement.

Yes, at some point before the next proposal round opens I'd like to
propose a policy along the lines that HP packages must be usable for
developing software under any reasonable license including proprietary
licenses. That would allow GPL tools (e.g. gcc is GPL but is used to
compile proprietary code) and allow LGPL libs but would exclude GPL
libs. I expect the contentious point in such a discussion to be around
LGPL libs (partly because there tends to be a great deal of
unnecessary confusion around it anyway).

Duncan