Contribution vs quality, and a few notes on the Platform process

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Nov 11 12:40:14 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 08:35:29AM -0800, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> igloo:
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 11:18:37AM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > >
> > > This is moving in the opposite direction from what Ross suggests above -
> > > making the platform less of an aggregation mechanism and more of a
> > > single community project.  Could it work?  I'm not sure.  Clearly Ross's
> > > model would "work", but it would produce something that's less like a
> > > platform.
> >
> > Steering committee, I think we need to resolve this question before we
> > can make progress. How should we proceed?
>
> What is the question?

Should the HP attempt to provide:

    A set of packages that are popular and meet certain quality
    standards

or:

    A set of packages that are popular, meet certain quality standards
    and have a consistent API

?

> I don't think libraries@ has a mandate to change the current HP goals

Surely someone must have a mandate to change them?

Also, what is the current goal? I thought it was the second one, but I
don't know whether or not I am in a minority.

Thanks
Ian