Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 12 14:38:33 EST 2010

On 12 November 2010 18:58, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:
>> since we have after all been shipping GPL tools and LGPL C libs along with
>> ghc for
>> some years.
>
> Indeed.   For many years, every program compiled by ghc (using libgmp to
> implement the unbounded Integer type) automatically fell under the terms of
> the LGPL.  Is that still the case?

Yes.

The IHG did some work to move the GMP dependency from the RTS to a new
integer-gmp package. The base library now uses this package to
implement the Integer type. It is also possible to use an alternative
integer package but you have to rebuild base and the rest of the
world. The default remains integer-gmp.

It adds one more license to the list of about 10 others that you need
to provide along with any compiled Haskell program that you
distribute. In addition to most of us violating the BSD licence much
of the time, I'm pretty sure that under a strict reading we're
violating the licence of the H98 and FFI reports because we do not
reproduced them in their entirety.

Duncan