Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 05:40:47 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> So if we can have a single package with the sensible infrastructure and
>> within that package have two ASTs, one for "simple" Haskell and one for
>> "extended" Haskell then that seems like an ideal combination to me.
>
> The only problem is that it will take some work to adapt
> haskell-src-exts to Haskell 20nn. I spoke to Niklas about this.
> He has in principle volunteered to take on the task, but
> he can't start on it for a few months. And I don't think it
> would be wise to make the package name changes and
> end-of-life the current haskell-src until this is done.

Yes, I agree with both Duncan and Yitz here. It would be some monkey
work to introduce a "simple" AST, but nothing tricky in principle. I
wouldn't mind adding such an AST to haskell-src-exts, and I think
that's the best solution long-term.

But as I'm on the final stretch of my PhD thesis work, I simply don't
need more opportunities for procrastination right now, hence the "few
months"... ;-)

> So unless someone else can do the work, we may have
> to wait until the following HP release.

I believe that would be the case regardless, no actual proposal for
adding haskell-src-exts has been written yet.

Cheers,

/Niklas