RFC: Adding a Hashable type class and HashMap/HashSet data types to HP

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Nov 21 20:19:54 EST 2010

On 11/20/10 1:32 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 02:53:03PM +0000, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 10:48 +0100, Gregory Collins wrote:
>>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Johan Tibell<johan.tibell at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> An issue that needs to be resolved is: "Where should this change go?" We have a
>>> couple of options:
>>>
>>>    a) Bring http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hashable into the platform
>>>
>>>    b) Put the module into base -- probably a -1 for political/logistical reasons
>>
>> I'd say base
>
> I would suggest not putting it into base if it isn't necessary to do so.
> It's much easier to merge things later (if desired) than to split them
> apart, and base is already far too big.

+1. Especially given the recent trend towards breaking things out of
base, moving this in is suspect. As folks have been moving towards
base-4 we've been able to finally start getting rid of the slew of Cabal
flags for figuring out when base does or does not include various
libraries. Don't start inventing new ones :)

--
Live well,
~wren