Making it easier to contribute non-functional changes

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 16:34:19 EDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 12:03:22PM -0400, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Proposal:
>>
>> Non-functional changes should be allowed without review by the
>> libraries list. Such changes can be commited directly, if the commiter
>> has access to the repo, or attached to a "please merge" ticket on the
>> bug tracker.
>
> +1 from me.  I know I'd probably submit some minor documentation
> enhancements and the like if the process was a bit easier for such
> things.

Perhaps a slightly less drastic version of this could satisfy everybody. If the patch is committed directly, a note containing it and describing it, if only briefly, could be sent to the libraries list. Likewise, if a ticket is created, a short note can be sent to the libraries list pointing to the ticket. Still no need for discussion, formal approval or the like, but a subscriber to libraries can always speak up if they have a concern, and libraries subscribers can feel confident that they will remain at least as appraised of changes as before.

Cheers,
Sterl.