Making it easier to contribute non-functional changes

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 08:56:22 EDT 2010

On 04/10/2010 22:27, Johan Tibell wrote:

> Sure. That sounds reasonable. As part of this proposal it would be
> nice if we could clarify who does have commit access to our core
> libraries. I have no idea and I doubt most people have.

People who have accounts on darcs.haskell.org, and are in the group 'darcs'.

Basically right now this means GHC developers and a few others.  We
rarely add new accounts on darcs.haskell.org these days because we don't
need to: code.haskell.org has taken most of the load off, the "extra
libraries" are no longer hosted on darcs.haskell.org, and for the rest
'darcs send' means that patch submissions are possible without commit
access.

Having said that, we should add accounts for active developers and
maintainers of core libraries when it makes sense to do so.  In the GHC
team we haven't been proactive in asking people whether they would like
accounts, but don't take that as a sign that we want to keep commit
access for ourselves and prevent anyone else from modifying the code!
If you think the world would be a better place if you had commit access,
feel free to ask. (ultimately accounts are handed out by the Galois
admins, since it's their machine).

Cheers,
	Simon