Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Tue Oct 5 08:57:44 EDT 2010

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 04:21:58PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> With the exception of #3 ("Some
>> functions have the same type but different names"), I don't think any
>> of them is particularly significant, or worth addressing in the short
>> term. I believe that #3 is actually resolved, but I haven't deleted
>> it pending confirmation from Ian or others.
>
> My opinion is still that the List, bytestring and text APIs should
> match where they overlap (overlap either in name or in type). This
> might mean changing List/bytestring, rather than text, in some cases.
>
> But if the consensus is otherwise, then no problem. I don't remember
> how many opinions were expressed, or what they were.

I agree with Ian's view. Inconsistencies in core libraries will cause
people a lot of confusion.

On the other hand, if noone has the time to actually go through the
exercise of figuring out what needs to change, then having text in the
platform with inconsistencies would be better than not having it.

Ganesh